Friday, November 5, 2010

Only on the "Rez" would you see this!

As I was walking to my car in the parking lot of this school in Chinle, this small herd of horses was circling slowly around the cars that remained. The busloads of children had already left. The horses eyed me warily at first, but I approached my car slowly, and loaded my supplies while they continued at their slow pace. By the time I realized I had my camera with, they had left the parking lot area but were coming back as I began to drive towards the crosswalk. In this photo, you see the male in back (very much in charge), the two mares with their colts in front.
To my delight, and also the woman who was standing near the passenger side of my car, the horses decided to turn and cross near the crosswalk!
I was so worried that the sun would ruin this photo, but it came out OK enough. After the horses had gotten across, the woman crossed also and went into the school. Do you see the hogan to the left in the photo? The 3 schools I am at most often all have a hogan, very important in Navajo culture. They all have a culture teacher, and go to lessons on a weekly basis there. I have seen some of the art projects that children made during their lessons, and they held the book fair inside one of the hogans, so Bill and I got to visit inside one day. Other than these culture lessons, the children learn the same things other children in Arizona learn, like reading, writing, P.E., etc. The playgrounds are very nice, and they have shredded tires as a surface, instead of gravel or sand. Very sponge-y feeling to walk on!
When walking outside the fenced school grounds, you have to watch where you walk! Besides the horses you see once in a while, there are free-grazing cows, too.
Well, now they have made their large half-circle around my car. It looks like they plan to continue the path they made before: around the parking lot and down the road that goes to the highway, or maybe around again! I think that only on a rezervation would you see a sight like this on the school crosswalk area!!!

Yesterday, there was a parade that came from the high school, to the junior high school and between 2 of the elementary schools. At that time, I was helping with a preschool event--a socializing time that the community was invited to, held on a day the preschool is usually closed. This helps young children and their parents get to see what preschool and school can be like, and helps the teacher and therapists identify some children who may benefit from O.T. or Speech, etc., and introduces parents to what we can help with, all while the children play. Well, the special parade came right by the preschool playground fence, so many scurried over there to watch! (The purpose of the parade was to celebrate the victories of the High School football team, who are now headed to the State finals!) After the parade was over, one little boy about 4 years old was stomping back to the classroom with a mad look on his face. "Wasn't no candy!" he growled. Oh, well, hope he got some of the Indian Fry-bread the kids get to help prepare in this class, and cook outside!!!

Working on the Navajo reservation has been very good. Occupational Therapy practitioners are very much needed. People have mostly been reserved but kind, until they realize you really are going to stay, and then they turn friendly and warm. There have been some frustrations with supplies, computer issues, etc, but the work with the children and teachers has been very worthwhile. I only wish I could clone myself and do twice as much work!!!


No comments: