Sunday, October 24, 2010

"If you get sick, or fall asleep, I'll know what to do!"

Bus Evacuation Drill Time---That's what time of year this is for Bill.

During this last week, all the children of Show Low schools spent time on the busses, learning what to do on a bus in the event of an emergency. Bill tells about a cute little kindergarten-aged boy, who learned his lesson well:

He was telling me what he learned from the bus evacuation drill the day before, "I know what that yellow button is." "What is it?" I asked. "It's the brake. If you get sick or fall asleep, and the bus is rolling down a hill, I just get up, come over, and pull the yellow button."

The bus was idling in neutral, with the parking brake on, as the children were loading. I firmly depressed the foot brake, pushed the parking brake in ---the yellow button---and let him give it a try. He marched up to the dash, pulled the yellow button till it popped out, and turned and grinned at me. "Good job!" I said, "Now I won't have to worry, you CAN take care of it, if I get sick or fall asleep!"

I love it when Bill tells about his day, and thought you'd like to hear, too, once in a while. We miss you all, and love you, too. Have a happy day!

No comments: