Saturday, February 28, 2009

Thank you so much, Mother!

My Mother taught me to sew years ago, when I was 12 (Wow, 43 years ago?)! And she is still teaching me! She used to make sock dollies that my little girls loved, and she recently coached me over the phone to learn to make them, too. It always brings back sweet memories to talk with her about sewing; all the pretty dresses and formals she made me and my sisters over the years, the amazement that she could sew and listen/talk at the same time, the things I was able to make for my family, the fun of creating something special, especially when money was/is tight, that seem more satisfying than something "store-bought". I can never thank you enough, Mother. Besides reading to me, sewing is one of the main things you taught me that I treasure!

2 comments:

The Garbison family said...

I remember these!! What a sweet tribute!

Sparks Haven said...

The main difference between Mother's and mine, is that hers always had pretty girl hair made of yarn, and a pretty smile. I will have to try that next time.